Author Topic: Before you ask for advice...  (Read 51643 times)

findit

• View Profile
Before you ask for advice...
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:42:43 pm »
Please respect the fact that the professionals on this board are busy too.. Please do as much research you can yourself before you ask advice, or for estimates of value.
We want to see your antiques, thats what we are here for! But also give us as much information to work with if you are asking for information. Where, When, What, Dates, etc.

Show everyone that you tried, and everyone will be more inclined to help!

Welcome! Stick around, perhaps you can help answer someone elses question, and learn a thing or two to boot.

bobman

• View Profile
Re: Before you ask for advice...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:16:43 pm »
Thank you for the advice. I should have looked around a little to see how it was done, guess I was in too much of a hurry. I will do my best to come up with more info before I post.
I did attach three pictures but I guess they didn't take.
Again thanks for the advice.
Bob M.

writerB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:05:56 am »
I could use a little direction as to the appropriate ways to use this forum.  I have seven totes of my mother-in-law's dishes. Next spring I will be having a garage sale, so before that I need to find out what is garage sale material and what Is too good for that route.  So, first, on some items, I'm needing help identifying and/or pricing.  Others I'm simply interested in putting out there to see if anyone, other than garage sale buffs, might be interested.  As I was packing up her stuff I took photos of most of the items I thought might be of some value so they are available. I'm thrilled to have found this forum but I don't want to misuse it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:48:55 am »
Hi writerB !  I am going to step out and welcome you to the forum!

To find out about your items and the "unofficial" values from the forum members simply select "new topic" and list them one by one with pics and as much background information that you can.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kalweitcajun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 02:56:47 pm »
Please respect the fact that the professionals on this board are busy too.. Please do as much research you can yourself before you ask advice, or for estimates of value.
We want to see your antiques, thats what we are here for! But also give us as much information to work with if you are asking for information. Where, When, What, Dates, etc.

Show everyone that you tried, and everyone will be more inclined to help!

Welcome! Stick around, perhaps you can help answer someone elses question, and learn a thing or two to boot.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:56:42 pm »
Barb you need to move your question down to the Antiques Question forum we can work from there.

Linny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:49:47 am »
Wow, I just asked a question for the first time and in reading this reply I feel like I shouldn't have asked my question.
I'm surprised someone didn't chastise me. I probably didn't give enough info either with my question. I'm so sorry if I wasted someones time.
I thought this would be more  friendly, didn't know there were clssifications like "newbie".
Thanks for the folks who took time to answer.
Linny

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:06:23 pm »
Mae03 please post your question in the antique questions forum with photos of your item, I'm afraid it will be missed here. Thanks & and welcome !!!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:01:40 pm »
Wow, I just asked a question for the first time and in reading this reply I feel like I shouldn't have asked my question.
I'm surprised someone didn't chastise me. I probably didn't give enough info either with my question. I'm so sorry if I wasted someones time.
I thought this would be more  friendly, didn't know there were clssifications like "newbie".
Linny

Hi-

I noticed this for the 1st time and don't know any details on what made Linny feel unwelcome but maybe can see how the newbie title that is given out could be taken the wrong way.

I sure am not the person who gives out the antique advice here so maybe I should just shut up,however Linny's experience  has me wondering if maybe the newbie title is offensive and makes new users feel unwelcome or that this is an unfriendly or stuck up forum, which is the farthest thing from the truth.

If an antique expert with say 50 years of knowledge in buying and selling antiques is a 1st time visitor and given the newbie title,  is it taken like they are clueless  vs. the intended meaning of new to the forum.

Anyhow I hope Linny will find out what a great group we've got here and not let the title give a wrong impression.I think we can all learn from each other regardless of 1 post or 1 million.JMO.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:46:28 pm »
I would guess the moniker 'newbie' to mean someone that is new to the forum and not necessarily new to antiques or lacking in such knowledge.  That is how I perceive the designation.

When I found the board, I do not believe there was a separate "New Members" forum.  I think someone (railman?) made that separation later on because it was a needed venue for posters to introduce themselves.  I am not sure what linny is exactly referring to but I would not have found the term 'newbie' personally offensive when I came on board.  It is quite hard to determine the mood of a thread or comment just by online postings unlike talking to someone in person.  It takes awhile to 'read' how different comments are meant by different users or their online personality.  I find some of the comments to be extreme dry humor and very funny.  That cat with the machine gun that sapphire posted was hilarious as was the bloody keyboard.  It just doesn't get any better than that.  ;D

boca gal

• View Profile
sprague & carleton mahogany drop leaf end table
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 07:31:27 pm »
I have a Sprague & Carleton mahogany drop leaf table that I use in the bedroom as a night stand.  The piece has two drawers and has a metal plate with the makers name inside the top draw.  Does any one know the value of this piece of furniture? Thank you.

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 04:37:16 pm »
boca gal, this should be posted on the Antiques Questions Forum along with some photos of the table.  I am sure someone will know something about your table.

pokermike4283

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 11:00:00 am »
Linny

I agree that the "newbie" title is a little misleading to some here but everyone should know that it is in terms of your status as a member on these boards, and not their personal history in the business.  How is a site to determine and rank a persons' "title" just by going on their word?  They must realize that you have to build a reputation/title by helping others.
Michael L. Carroll

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 04:34:41 pm »
I went back and looked at the user's posts and I'm trying to figure out what they were saying was rude? I'm confused. ???

Oh wait, I think it was my topic about the porcelain sign. Sorry if we sounded mean, I'm sure none of us meant to be rude!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:40:29 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 04:53:55 pm »
I am not sure either hosman.  I think your reply post was on inkslinger's (I love that name!) post?  I was not sure what linny was referring to either.  I did not notice any rudeness but that is just my perception.  I hope linny was not permanently scared off.

I think what I said is true about any online conversation..."It is quite hard to determine the mood of a thread or comment just by online postings unlike talking to someone in person.  It takes awhile to 'read' how different comments are meant by different users or their online personality."

I know what we type and what we mean may not be what is perceived by others online as there is no voice inflection or facial expressions (except for smileys) like there is in real life.  I have found this forum and all the users (except spammers) to be great!  So, I would not take it personal, hosman, as I think you are a tremendous asset to the forum.