Author Topic: I am just going to stop buying on eBay  (Read 18633 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: I am just going to stop buying on eBay
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 02:50:07 am »
Odd this thread pops up 2 years after incident. Odder still that yesterday, hamilton beach 4 slice toaster i ordered from amazon this past sunday nite arrived, no muss, no fuss, 4 day delivery, BAM!
ebay still has it's uses i guess but it is not what it was 10-15 years ago, far from it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:53:53 am by jacon4 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 10:16:08 am »
I have only had the one problem with a seller early last year that I won an antique silver piece for $5 (I was 3rd bidder) and they sent me a note saying they weren't going to complete the sale because they wanted more money for it.  They immediately relisted the item.  Ebay left it up to me what I wanted to do about the sale if I wanted to start a report, etc. But I would have to pay for the item first to file the complaint.  I opted to not pay but verified that it would not go against me for non-payment of an item and allowed them to access communications from the seller.  They then stopped the sale of the item and wouldn't allow it to be relisted on ebay.  I have kept tabs and the seller hasn't been back since (at least not under that name).

Great ending to the story - the piece above had lost all of it's silver (was recovered in a downed ship after years in sea water) and I was going to have to get it resilvered.  I got a much more ornate/collectible piece, mint condition, just a few months later for very little! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 10:25:38 am »
Ebay is fine i guess IF you have the time but it can be a very cumbersome time consuming process if something goes wrong.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:01 am »
Jacon4, funny thing, I just signed in on Ebay and what do you know.  There was a flag announcing "Introducing Sotheby's on Ebay!  A new experience featuring live auctions, streaming video and more..."!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 10:47:31 am »
Yeah, they used to have them and Christies too, along with many major antique furniture auction houses.

sogobuymugs

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 08:21:31 am »
Well take a look at ebids new website http://uk.ebid.net/

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 06:38:13 am »
Delcampe is another great source for antiques.