Author Topic: Any ideas what this is?  (Read 3040 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Any ideas what this is?
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:25 am »
I have no idea what this is (and I have 6 of them), or how old, although I've had them for decades. Probably something my parents brought home in a box lot from an auction and I fished them out. They are made from very light non-magnetic metal, probably aluminum and are all 2" long and 5/8" in diameter and hollow, so none fits inside any other. One end is open and the other has the initials S.S. under a crown. I'd like to know what they are.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas what this is?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 12:19:58 am »
Can you please tell us if the crown and S. S. is only on the outside of the tube or is it on the inside as well?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 05:31:43 am »
My guess is, …….. decorative bottle "caps".  8)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 05:50:00 pm »
I think you may be on the right track Cogar !!  I was guessing covers for really good bottles of Scotch !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 04:18:28 am »
Found this one via DuckDuckGo

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 09:14:42 am »
Cogar, down the road I was thinking of as well.

They are called "sleeves" usually related to alcohol or food  and "caps" when related to perfume or cologne - but can't find one like the Crown S.S.

Don't see any wear marks from this pic.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:19:33 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 01:48:04 pm »
I don`t think these have been used !!  Bottom edge has not been smoothed !!  Someone had another use for these  and probably worked at a machine shop or wherever they were made !!  Machine shops usually make more than the contract requires in case some are not perfect !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 05:01:45 am »
Now, come ooooonnnn, …… Mart, they were surely not made in a “machine shop”. But the “mold” or ”die” for making them would have been.

The were made from either plastic or aluminum.

If plastic, they were “injection” molded. If aluminum, they were “pressure” molded out of a round piece of aluminum about the size of a quarter ($). Just like beer and soda pop cans are made (with a larger Al disc of course).

If the “logo” (crown) is “pressed” (from the underside) into the top, they are aluminum. If molded onto the top, they are plastic.

And that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  ;D ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 06:43:18 pm »
Right Cogar but it  was so much faster to type in machine shop rather than all that stuff you typed !!  I am not the worlds greatest typist !! But I did add "or wherever they were made"to that line !!  My one finger gets tired you know !!  ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 05:26:55 am »
Mart, I was thinking about this statement you posted, to wit:

I don`t think these have been used !!  Bottom edge has not been smoothed !!

The “not smoothed” or “rough” bottom edge might be the result of a “scribe line” that is typical of “tamper proof” packaging.

The bottom edge of the “cap” is affixed tightly around the bottle neck and when it is “opened” the 1st time it will shear at the “scribe line”.

Like other products, never buy iffen the “seal” is broken.   

I'm sure there are some fine ladies out there who will open up a bottle of perfume, dab some on and put the bottle back in its package or on display. 

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 01:26:45 pm »
Can you please tell us if the crown and S. S. is only on the outside of the tube or is it on the inside as well?

The design goes through to the inside, but the S.S. is reversed.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 01:30:30 pm »
I weighted them all at once and together they just about weigh one ounce (a little less) and they are definitely metal (read OP).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 07:22:52 pm »
Well,, they are definitely caps for something !!  I checked everything I could think of including company logo`s and found nothing !!  I am still going with liquor bottles of some sort !!  That crown looks so familiar to me but can`t think of  where I saw it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 09:14:49 pm »
It resembles the style of the crown on Crown Royal Whisky but it is not the same!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 05:32:27 am »
Now don’t you all be forgetting the fact that debodun stated that they …. “are all 2" long and 5/8" in diameter” …… and a 5/8" diameter cap "sleeve" doesn’t leave much of an “opening” in the bottle top, given the bottle cap and the thickness of the bottle itself.