Author Topic: artist signature help for Cheskin painting  (Read 2985 times)

Overloaded

• View Profile
artist signature help for Cheskin painting
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:56:42 am »
I thought I had the right artist Louis Cheskin... until I saw an Ebay auction and saw the signature on that auction "trees"  as it was not the same signature... is there another Louis Cheskin ? or was I using the wrong first name?

The ebay auction had the signature spelling out his entire first name but this painting only has L on it.

The painting which I'm trying to get more info for:

waywardangler

Re: artist signature help for Cheskin painting
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:50:27 am »
Looks pretty amateurish so I do not think it is a known artist but rather a hobby artist.  I could be totally wrong.

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 05:43:30 pm »
have had a look at painting on ebay, & the evidence says it is the same person. Its right
The painting style is the same,
His name is unusual, 2 painters with the same name & style ? very unlikley
the L in the sig are the same &  letter similarities occur in cheskin
The buy it now $200 not alot of profit after canvas, oils frame time & fees
Original sold auction --- estimate $100 - $200 not sure what it made but i suspect more towards the lower estimate
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:58:16 am by gingertomantiques »

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:08:13 pm »
I disagree that it is the same painter.  Louis Cheskin on eBay and Hindman's auction used watercolor for a medium and the signatures do not match.  Quality is totally different.  IMO.

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:35:25 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Louis-Cheskin-1907-listed-artist-Trees-/190396103270
link to pic on ebay

I stand by my comments many artists painted in diferent mediums just because one is a watercolour & the other oil does not mean it is not by the same hand, the style is the same
A sig in oil will be different to a watercolour sig look at the individual letters especialy the L, h, & n bearing this in mind & the fact one is small case joined up & the other is capitals

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:12:06 pm »
I do see a difference in paint used. oil versus water. I believe the painting in question was painted by a pallete knife or brush. I do believe it's L. Cheskin a w.p.a. artist. registered in illinois.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:30:08 pm »
Searched for awhile on this one , with no definitive hold-up-in-court results .

Similar painting effects (used by many artists) between yours & the only other representative work (by Louis Cheskin) I could find .
One small exception (possibly) is U.S. Patent # 2,760,302 , a toy patent granted to Louis Cheskin which was filed for on Oct.26,1953 (from Chicago,Ill) .
Within the patent , it's stated that 'I illustrated' - although that's common verbage in patents ....

I'd go along with D&b about Cheskin (the artist , not the administrator) and the WPA link ; was also associated with the 'Illinois Art Project' around the same time .

One sig (watercolor) cursive , the other not (mostly) .
This does not give creedance that the sigs either do , or do not match ; one sig done with a brush , the other in ink (or pencil - I could not find out which , so far) .

Yours could be an earlier work from the same semi-obscure artst .

Perhaps contacting folks in Illinois might hunt up another example of his sig , which I was unable to positively identify .

I think it would be worth trying , so you'd know what you do (or do not) have !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "