Poll

Value?

Need value
0 (0%)
Suggestions for where to sell
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Wm. Rogers silverplated flatware  (Read 1506 times)

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
Wm. Rogers silverplated flatware
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:51:03 pm »
I would like to know the value of these pieces by Wm. Rogers, American silversmith.  I estimate them to be done in the mid 1800's judging by the mark with an eagle and a star on either side of "Wm. Rogers".  There are 8 iced teaspoons, 6 butter knives and 6 forks.
Thanks..

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Wm. Rogers silverplated flatware
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:04:52 pm »
     What is have is the pattern called Beloved, made by International Cir. 1940.   This pattern is somewhat common as was one the the interantional silver popular WM Rodgers line of flatware.

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:40:20 am »
Sorry, how can it be made by International Cir. when it says Wm. Rogers and has the mark from his collection in the mid 1800s, according to some research I found?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:56:52 am »
  Wm. Rodgers was purchased by international silver in the late 1800's, but they still used their mark.  There is a complex history with silverplate during the End of the 1800's and into early 1900's.  International and Oneida bought up so many companies.  Wm Rodgers was a well renound name and like many other of their companies they used their hallmark.  If you look carefully you will probably see IS stamped next to the Hallmark.  This is the stamp of International silver.  Second keep in mind, while silverplate was invented in the mid 1800's  it really did not take off until the late 1800's and into the Early 1900's, then feel out of favor post 40's.

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »
I see the I S mark, as well.  Thanks for the more in depth explanation.  It's very much appreciated.