Author Topic: Can anyone provide any information about this 19th century barrel back chair?  (Read 4293 times)

mvaldemar

• View Profile

I would appreciate any info that anyone has about this item.  I picked it up for 45 dollars at a local antique shop along with this:

From what I can tell the trunk is most likely from the 1870s but I haven't been able to find out anything about the chair.  I know the pictures aren't the best.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:21:34 pm by mvaldemar »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
You got both for $45?! Nice score!! ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Welcome mvaldemar! Being new to this I won't be much help to you except to say, beautiful finds! 

Does your trunk happen to have tin plating? The reason I'm asking is I have been on the lookout for a chest or trunk for my daughter and came across this last night.  The extremely brief description (whether accurate or not) lists it as Victorian (1890's) with pressed tin covering.

I'm sure you'll get responses regarding your chair from those who are very familiar with furniture styles and dates.

Have you found any makers marks anywhere?

sapphire

• View Profile
Oh my!! While typing my last response I was  also doing a bit of searching.....as I was already 'sort of' hunting for one of these trunks  ;)

Happened across this.....

It's listed on a site that specializes in restoring and selling these trunks.  By what I'm reading the trunk I found may be well worth trying to get. Don't know what you picked yours up for but you may have a nice find there.  This trunk is selling for $995 and further down their list one almost identical has already sold for that amount.

http://www.thepirateslair.com/2-152silver-filagree.html

mvaldemar

• View Profile
No I havent.  The chair's upholstery completely covers the bottom of the seat.  I'm assuming it has been reupholstered at some point.

The chest is clad in tin.  I haven't found any maker's marks on it as the inside is covered in wallpaper.

Oh and the 45 was just for the chair.  I paid 75 for the trunk.

I'm still quite happy with my purchase :)

mvaldemar

• View Profile
Yes I have seen that website.  Unfortunately my chest is in nowhere near that condition.  In fact one of the original hinges is missing and someone has replaced it.  also there has been some damage to the middle wooden "rib" on the top of the chest.  I don't know if it is possible to restore this chest to it's original condition.  Any advice would be much appreciated

sapphire

• View Profile
$75 !!!  :o  I'd say it would be well worth looking into restoration......un less of course you want to sell it to me  :D

The one I've found is in fair to good condition from the photos......and they're asking $250. That's if it's even still available. Another one I've spotted is in possibly fair cond. and they want $275.

sapphire

• View Profile
mvaldemar, I just came across this site (and bookmarked it  ;) ) .  If you plan on restoring you may find some interesting tips here. I have yet to even check out the info.......but certainly hope it comes in handy.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/howto.html

mvaldemar

• View Profile
Thank you... unfortunately I don't think I could let the chest go for a reasonable price.

sapphire

• View Profile
Just kidding  ;)  Glad you found such a treasure (at least in my eyes).  Hope you get the chance to restore it and would love to see pics.  Wish me luck on my hunt......and by the way that site is very interesting, glad I came across it as I'll most likely need it someday. At least my daughter hopes I will.  :D

mvaldemar

• View Profile
Yes I am looking at it now (don't tell my boss) I love the sense of humor as well... I am going to have to take a closer look at the hinges I have on my trunk.  Perhaps pick up a lock as well.  It seems like these chests are fairly common so I am sure you will find one sooner than later.  Thanks again and good luck!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
You have and 1870's Camel back trunk. look carefully at the center top of your trunk you can see the hump. you might look in side the lock area for a patent date. present condition. $250.00 dollars

D&b antiques

• View Profile
The chair is in excellent condition. you might look carefully. around the upholstery for old nail holes. a chair like this would sell in the $ 300.00 Dollar range. Typically known as Barrel or tub chair.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
One last thought. ;D ;D ;D could we get directions to this antique Shop ? :) just kidding you did very well & should be proud of your self.

mvaldemar

• View Profile
Yes I could clearly see old nail holes on the underside of the chair around where the bottom is attached with staples... should have been a dead give away huh?  Any idea about when the chair is from?  I couldn't find any patent marks in the trunk as the inside is covered with old wallpaper.  Also do you think any harm would be done restoring either piece?