Author Topic: storage locker finds!  (Read 7636 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: storage locker finds!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 08:00:44 pm »
Take the watercolor out of the frame and check for  a signature !!  Its not very well done from what I can see !! Could be a student piece !!

You sure lucked out on the artwork !!  Some nice works by known artists  !! 

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 02:19:58 am »
cheers mart, i'm an artist myself so made sense to start with what i know best! I have just removed the wc from its frame and sadly there is no info. Here's a mixed media work of mine from a solo exhibition in london a few years back. Collage, paint charcoal and fire were used in this one!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 06:31:20 am »
Nice. The portrait looks like Chuck Close.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 09:37:00 am »
Ahh Ha !!  Let me guess the title !!  "A Window into the Soul"  Or something similarly intriguing !!  I used to paint and teach art,,had a few shows here locally but mostly to let my students show off their work !! My interest is in Western art and landscape !!  Do you still work ?? Or like me,,put it on the back burner !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 02:31:15 pm »
Really like the Collage!  Nice!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 08:24:57 am »
Thanks for the kind words, yes i'm still painting not as much as i used to as i've been renovating the house for the last couple of years! keep changing my mind lol! will be finished by the end o f the year though! Some more finds from the first batch, first up a sowerby vaseline/uranimum glass dressing table set, deco 1930's forgot the pattern no. but i did find it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 08:31:52 am »
Oh My !!  I can not believe some of your "finds" !!  I could look for years and not be that lucky !!  Very nice !!

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 08:49:15 am »
Thanks Mart, i like to think i have a good eye but taste is subjective! Here's another, deco again, maker unknown, if anyone has any ideas i would love to know. One flea bite to one of the bowls but otherwise mint, is this what you would call depression glass?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:57:42 am by awhitetriangle »

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 09:05:15 am »
Oriental silk painting, i know nothing about this one other than its hand painted on silk, anyone able to help me? Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:12:10 am by awhitetriangle »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 11:55:01 am »
Your Uranium glass set with the butterflies (vasaline is not green) was made by Sowerby Glass located in England approx 1930
Will search your other dresser set later on :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 02:29:27 pm »
So Wendy177 you are a purist when it come to this glass? (All Vaseline glass is uranium based but not all uranium glass is Vaseline glass.) Uranium Dioxide makes the glass yellow green, and typically iron was added (in addition to the uranium) to make the green.  There is even Uranium Glass that is clear and some that doesn't fluoresce.

Just wondering! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 02:44:37 pm »
All I can tell you about the artwork is that its daylilies !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 04:14:24 pm »
KC I don't think I'm a purist when it comes to anything   LOL     Often I use the term Canary glass for "Vaseline" glass too  but that is a much older reference. Both have Uranium but it is how some separate the Yellow / green color in natural light. There is also glass colored with uranium  custard glass and Burmese glass but they are opaque  canary,uranium glass is transparent. Simply just a term that has been used to separate yellow from green.  I try not to make it rocket science LOL  :)

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 04:39:46 pm »
All I can tell you about the artwork is that its daylilies !!

Tiger lily, no ?

Tiger lilies, manchurian cranes, insects, birds - default subject matter for many an Oriental artist.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 06:43:14 pm »
I can only speak to the varieties I am familiar with !!  There are many varieties !!  Tiger lilies that I know grow on an upright stem with the leaves growing alternately along it and the flower ( can be several) at the top !!  Can have tiny dark spots inside the flower !!   Daylilies are a clumping type with the leaves growing from the soil and the flower extending on upright stem from the clump !!  Height determined by variety !! Can be many colors !!

Thats the best I can explain about the varieties I know !! 
Could be a different variety of Tiger Lily or that could be a common name !!  I just know the ones we have in Texas !!  I have a few naturalized daylilies here in my yard !!  Have been trying to get Tiger lilies started but the seed just does not do well here !!  Daylilies you can just transplant part of a clump !!  Our Tiger lilies have seed !!
But I have tons of Spider lilies,, need some ??